Monday, September 2, 2013

My Dad's Yummy Hamburger Soup

Hamburger soup
*this recipe almost filled Mitch's 2 gallon crock pot! - I took a pic while it was cooking to show how full the pot was.
1.5 lb. hamburger ( I used extra lean)
1 med onion finely chopped
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
3 cans of beef consomme (approx. 1 litre)
1 soup can of tomato soup
8 tbsp of pearl barley
4 carrots diced
3 celery stalks chopped
Salt, pepper, parsley and thyme to taste  (my Dad just buys an Italian Seasoning mix and use it for everything  - instead of getting a bunch of separate spices)
I added oregano too.
Brown meat with onions; drain
Mix everything together.  Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally for at least 2 hours. 
Or, can simmer in oven at 325 for a couple of hours stirring occasionally.   
Or could use crook pot on low for approx. 6 hours.

*I used the crockpot this time as it was way easier! 

Following this recipe, the WHOLE pot is 57 weight watcher points plus so if you divide into 10 portions, it'd be about 6 points. 





No comments:

Post a Comment